Scanty Periods or Short Menstrual Flow(Hypomenorrhea) is a condition in which the duration of menstrual flow is less than two days or the amount of blood flow is less than normal. Hormonal imbalance, nutritional deficiencies, unhealthy foods, stress, emotional trauma, sorrow, low body weight and prolonged use of oral contraceptives are some common causes for light or low menstrual blood flow. However you can cure this problem by following some natural Home Remedies which are given below:
Best Home Remedies to Cure Short (Scanty Menstrual Flow):
1. Marigold Herbal Tea
The herb of Marigold is helpful in reducing the pain during menstruation and also increasing the menstrual flow. You can make a herbal tea made with marigold heads or leaves. Drink half a cup of marigold tea 3 times a day.
2. Ginger Tea
Fresh ginger tea is also very beneficial to cure low menstrual flow. You can add some sugar or honey to improve the taste.For best results drink this twice a day.
Consumption of unripe papaya(papeeta) is very beneficial for securing a proper menstrual flow. It is also good for girls whose menses have ceased due to stress or tension.
4. Parsley Juice
Parsley juice when taken with beet, carrot or cucumber juice is a wonderful remedy for scanty menstruation, cramps and also assists in the regularization of the monthly periods.
5. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds are also considered very effective to cure the problem of scanty periods. Take half teaspoon of sesame seeds with lukewarm water 2-3 times a day, starting two days before the due date of the periods.
6. Omega 3 Fatty acids
Try to consume foods rich in Omega 3 fatty acids because they play an important role in hormonal production and help a lot to cure the problem of short or scanty periods. Some foods rich in Omega 3 Fatty acids are Flaxseeds, walnuts, salmon, sardines, and cod liver oil.
7. Zinc Rich Foods
Zinc is one of the best minerals that the body uses to keep hormone levels (like estrogen, progesterone and testosterone) levels stable throughout the entire menstrual cycle. Try to consume foods rich in Zinc. Oysters, raw pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds are best food sources of Zinc.
8. Iron and Vitamin C Rich Foods
Iron Rich foods also help a lot to cure the problem of scanty periods. Read meat, Oyster, Liver, pumpkin seeds, nuts and dark green leafy vegetables are good sources of iron.To improve iron absorption in your body, don't forget to consume Vitamin C rich foods. Guava, oranges, strawberries, lemons, papayas, tomatoes and citrus fruit juices are good sources of Vitamin C.
9. Carrot Juice
Carrot juice is also very beneficial in getting rid of scanty periods. Consumption of 1 glass carrot juice on a daily basis at least for one month, has been shown excellent results in treatment of scanty periods.
10. Well Balanced Diet
Try to consume well balanced diet rich in all essential nutrients and avoid skipping meals because when you don't get enough food your stored body fat start burning and low body fat is another cause of scanty periods.When the proportion of body fat drops beneath a certain level it affect hormonal production even may cease the production of certain hormone which are important for proper flow of menstrual blood.
Some Precautions and Important Tips:
- (i)Avoid consumption of unhealthy canned foods and increase consumption of fresh fruits and green vegetables in your daily diet plan.
- (ii)Try to remain stress free because stress is one of the main cause for hormonal imbalance.Stress suppress the activity of the centers in the brain that stimulate the ovaries during the ovarian cycle (to secrete hormone like estrogen and progesterone), and may result in scanty menstruation.
- (iii)Sometimes scanty or short periods may be a symptom of an other medical problem so first you must diagnose the exact cause for scanty periods.If your scanty periods are not due to some serious medical condition then you can go with above remedies to cure short or scanty periods.
- (iv)If you don't get cured by following above home remedies you must consult your problem with a gynaecologist.