Causes of Less Milk Production
- (i) Deficiencies in the Mother’s Diet
- (ii) Nutritional Deficiency
- (iii) Stress
- (iv) Lack of Sleep
- (v) Certain Hormonal Changes
- (vi) Excessive Consumption of Alcohol
- (vii) Excessive consumption of Tea and Coffee
- (viii) Certain illnesses
- (ix) Consumption of Birth-Control Pills
- (x) Dehydration (Lack of Water)
However, if your low milk supply is not caused by a complex medical problem then you can increase the production of breast milk and can boost your milk supply by following some home remedies which are given below:
Home Remedies to Increase Breast Milk
1. Diet Rich in Essential Nutrients
To increase milk production mothers should eat a diet rich in proteins, vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. Eating whole grains and cereals, soy products, dairy products, nuts, seeds, fresh fruits and vegetables help to increase milk production.
2. Essential Vegetables
Try to increase the intake of Asparagus, Apricots, Green beans, Carrots, Sweet potatoes, Peas and Leafy green vegetables especially watercress and parsley in your diet plan.
3. Fenugreek Herb
Fenugreek is a natural herb and helps a lot to icrease milk production. You can also use fenugreek capsules to enhance breastmilk production. Before using fenugreek capsule always follow the label’s dosage recommendations or talk to your lactation consultant about breastfeeding-specific dosages.
Note: Diabetic and asthmatic women must not use fenugreek remedies before consulting a doctor.
4. Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
Fennel seeds help a lot to increase milk production. Fennel is believed to be an excellent galactagogue which is something that brings about more breast milk. Take 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds soak them in a cup of lukewarm water and have this drink twice every day.
5. Green Papaya (Unripe Papaya)
Green papaya is an amazing source of essential vitamins, minerals, and enzymes and helps a lot to enhance the production of breast milk. Green Papaya is a super food that can increase the quantity and quality of your breast milk. Green papaya can boost the production of the oxytocin hormones in your body that increase the milk flow and regulate the production of breast milk.
Oatmeal is one of the excellent food to stimulate milk production. Daily consumption of Oatmeal ensures the optimum breast milk production. Eating a bowl of oatmeal with milk or yogurt for breakfast every morning is an excellent way to increase breast milk supply.
Garlic increases the synthesis and release of milk. To increase milk production you should take only 1 clove per day. If you do not want to consume garlic, take a garlic capsule about 1 hour before breast feeding.
Almonds are highly beneficial for breast feeding women. Vitamin E in almonds helps to cure pregnancy stretch marks while Omega-3 in almonds helps lactation boosting hormones to help produce more milk. Soak 5-7 almonds in water overnight. Early morning peel them off and have them with a glass of lukewarm water.
Cinnamon is also helpful to increase secretion of breast milk. Eating cinnamon, during nursing period helps improve the flavor of breast milk that many babies seem to like. Take a pinch of cinnamon powder and mix with half teaspoon of honey. Have it along with a cup of lukewarm milk. Repeat the same process specially before going to bed.
10. Cumin Seeds (Zeera)
Cumin seeds are considered very helpful to stimulate milk production. Cumin seeds also improve digestion and help body for better absorption of essential nutrients. You can add cumin seeds to your dals, curries, salads or other vegetable. Alternatively, you can soak a pinch of cumin seeds in a glass of water and drink it early in the morning to improve milk production.
11. Warm Compress
Sometimes, low blood circulation in the breasts is the main reason behind inadequate breast milk supply. If this is the reason, you can use a warm compress on your breast before feeding sessions to increase the blood supply. For warm press, take a clean cotton cloth and dip in warm water. Now wring out the extra water and use this warm cloth to gently massage the area around the nipples, pressing the breast against the chest. Continuously massage for 5-7 minutes and then lean forward and breast feed your baby. This is very simple but an effective way to enhance breast milk supply.
Dehydration is one of the main cause of low milk production.Try to drink lots of water because breast milk production will drop if the mother doesn't drink enough water.
Some Other Tips For Proper Lactation
- (i) Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol at least during the breastfeeding period.
- (ii) Avoid stress and try to remain stress-free. According to recent scientific research, stress hormones and breast milk production are inversely proportional to each other. Hence, avoid stress to increase the production of milk supply.
- (iii) Use a breast pump to empty the breasts every two to three hours when away from the baby. Store the pumped milk to feed the baby later.
- (iv) Frequently breastfeed your baby. The more you breastfeed, the more milk will be generated.
- (v) Proper sleep of 6 - 8 hours is essential to maintain proper milk supply.
- (vi) Even after following above home remedies if you don't get an improvement in breast milk production, you should consult your problem with a professional lactation consultant or doctor.